Sunday, November 29, 2009

Preheater Rev 1 in use

Follow this link for the construction details of this preheater
How I built the Revision 1 preheater

So, how does it work.

It heats the water well, and does not leak, which were my two biggest worries

Leaking was the obvious worry, but using high temp RTV to help seal the box, and the threads on the tube fittings appears to be working.  The only leak I have is coming from the thermocouple, because I used a fiberglass insulation thermocouple, the water is leaking though the fiberglass insulation.  I tried to seal the insulation inside the preheater, but I guess I didn't do a good job of that.

When I turn it on, it gets up to temp pretty quickly, in about 6 minutes it is pretty stable, and gets to within a few degrees of the boiler temp, per the PID thermocouple I have.

Issues I have with it.
The preheater temp drops pretty significantly by the end of the shot, down to about 120F, and it was around 220F when the shot started, so I lost 100F during the shot.  And, it starts to drop pretty early in the shot, and then continues to drop as the shot progresses.

Recovery time is longer then I expected.  After dropping to 120F, it takes about 5 minutes for it to get back to 220F.  Since it only took about 6 minutes to heat up initialy, I am not sure why recovery time is so long, but that is what I measured.

I warmed up the unit for about 20 minutes, and then pulled a shot.  It was a double, with around 14g of coffee, but I did not measure it.  The chart below shows how the temp varied over the shot.  I'm not sure why there was a little peak at 4 seconds, maybe a shot of steam/hot air when the shot started.
I measured by putting a thermocouple over the edge of the basket, with it close to the middle of the basket.
The shot was kind of fast, but I think it was fine for this measurement, you can see it was pretty steady until around 33 seconds, and stayed within 5 degrees until 40 seconds into the shot.



 I am building a Revision 2 preheater, to hopefully fix the issues I have, and get better performance.

Building the Revision 2 Preheater

No comments:

Post a Comment